German Ossuary

Find on the map

At the entrance to the foyer is a door forged from gun barrels.

In 1938, a Munich firm completed the construction of this ossuary where 965 German soldiers are buried.

The cut stones for its construction were brought from Germany. At the entrance to the foyer is a door forged from gun barrels.

The interior of the chapel is divided into two parts: in the first section the names of the fallen are inscribed on oak panels and in the second section, separated by a wrought iron screen, the names of the fallen are inscribed using mosaics in three lunettes.

The grave of the Unknown Soldier is at the center of this space where the sun strikes during the summer solstice.

It is located on the left bank of the Soča River close to Tolmin. From Tolmin, the road leads about one kilometer past the school and across the parking lot of the former casino.

LTO Sotočje
TIC Tolmin
Petra Skalarja 4
SI - 5220 Tolmin
T: +386 5 380 04 80
E: info@lto-sotocje.si